Casablanca is located in Colonia of San Rafael. It sits on a hill about a 15-minute walk from centro’s Jardin and overlooks the entire San Miguel valley with its many church steeples and its surrounding hills. Sunrises and sunsets are spectacular.
While Casablanca is a modernist, somewhat Bauhaus-inspired residence, its name only partially refers to its colour. Casa Blanca - two words - literally translates as White House and refers when capitalized to America’s presidential mansion. Casablanca - one word - is Morocco’s premier city of Bogart and Bergman fame, which has a myriad white, Bauhaus, structures built during the 30’s and 40’s.
While this Casablanca was completed in 2009, it would not be out of place in the historic White City of Tel Aviv or even in Miami’s South Beach. It could also be a congenial neighbour of the Diego Riviera and Frida Kahlo joint-studios in Mexico City’s Colonia San Angel, constructed in 1932.
Within Casablanca’s internal walled patios, covered porches, outdoor terraces and comfortably-scaled rooms – a very Mexican way of building though not unlike traditional Riads in Morocco - there always seems to be a place that is warm enough, cool enough or dry enough no matter what the time of day or season. And given the internal garden’s plunge pool and fountain, there is even a place wet enough that provides sensuous pleasures of touch and sound. Perhaps the most intriguing feature of the house is that it is flooded with natural light everywhere, though shady spots offer respite.
- parking for one car with automatic opening doors, paved in river stones but currently landscaped as a small garden off which is a private casita;
- self-contained casita with ensuite and kitchenette, separated from the main house, which could be used as a guest suite, rental, or even a caregiver’s living quarters;
- internal garden patio containing a plunge pool and a mature lemon tree;
- master bedroom with ensuite, each with doors opening directly onto the pool;
- covered sitting porch with stair leading to the second floor;
- separate laundry room equipped with a stacked washer/dryer.
- living room with high natural wood ceiling and large fireplace;
- combined dining-kitchen area with sunny ‘solarium’;
- eating porch overlooking the courtyard below;
- convenient half-bath.
- studio or bedroom ensuite with panoramic view of the valley;
- outdoor bar that is protected from the wind.
- a few steps up, an open terrace commanding a panoramic view of San Miguel to the south, east, north and west.
- about 180m2 (2,000 sq ft) of living space;
- living room, dining and kitchen with appliances (fridge, gas stove, gas oven, double sink and sinkerator);
- pressurized water system with cistern;
- 2 covered porches, 2 intimate patios, 2 roof terraces;
- plunge pool;
- 4 gas fireplaces;
- ample closet space throughout;
- 3.5 baths;
- solar blinds where needed;
- laundry with stacked washer/dryer;
- parking for one car if needed;
- various guest and rental options;
- flooded with natural light throughout with solarium at dining area and skylights over stairs and WC;
- exterior garden and pool lighting;
- all roof membranes replaced and terrace/roofs waterproofed in 2016;
Asking price: $215,000 US firm
Furniture package including most household items including dishes, new mattresses and bedding can be negotiated (budget $7,500 US).